Thursday, February 12, 2015

"Let It Lie" - The Bros. Landreth

Proof that I attended an OUTDOOR winter event 
It's not very often that I  blog about a local band.  It might be because I haven't heard many local bands that I'd like to write about it,  but it's really probably because I'm too lazy to go out on "the scene" scoping out bands like I"m a middle-aged, cigar smoking talent scout about to give someone their big break by writing about them in my semi-shitty, self-serving music blog.

In Winnipeg there's a kitschy French quarter called St.Boniface.  It looks pretty much like every other trendy neighbourhood in the city except that everyone pretends like they're in  Montréal and, en français is the language of choice.   The first time I saw/heard The Bros. Landreth was in St.B a few years ago at Festival Du Voyageur, a large winter festival celebrating French Canadian culture.  I watched them perform in a heated outdoor tent while trying to warm up in between drunken toboggan rides (so stereotypical Canadian, I know).  

To be honest they slipped my mind until recently when I found a note from drunk me reminding sober me to download this song.  It's probably too bad that I'm not a talent scout because I've noticed The Bros, have been doing well, with a recent Juno nod for "Roots & Traditional Album of the Year"  under their belts. (Sigh), if only I had blogged about them sooner I could brag to my friends how I "discovered" them back before they were famous. 

The Bros. 
"Let It Lie" seems to be written from a musicians perspective, about the struggle of balancing love and music, "I was happy to sit and sing, Oh but darling, you wanted everything." Being a recovering groupie myself, I know now that the appeal of the elusive musician is that you think he'll love you like he loves his music.  

Let me save you some heartache sweethearts, music is a mistress that you can't compete with.  I realized after awhile that is has to be that way because they pour so much of their heart into their music that there's only a small piece of it left for everyone else.  Things are as they should be though, because if it wasn't that way the smooth crooning of the frontman, Joey, wouldn't be able to make your soul ache a bit like it does. 





You get the summons I'll pay the fine
I know my place you take your time
You take the high road, I'll take the blame
Or take me in your arms, it's all the same

I may never see dear
Say the words you want to hear
I can't always be the one to swallow my pride
If you let your walls down
Maybe you would know how
To leave this alone
Let it lie
Let it lie

I needed less, you wanted more
I shuffled my feet you slammed the door
I was just happy to sit and sing
Oh but darling, you wanted everything

Oh…
I may never see dear
Say the words you want to hear
I can't always be the one to swallow my pride
If you let your walls down
Maybe you would know how
To leave this alone
Let it lie
Let it lie

You say I'm selfish, you may be right
And that my songs won't keep me warm at night
You go your way I'll go mine
I know your hurt, but you'll be just fine

Oh…
I may never see dear
Say the words you want to hear
I can't always be the one to swallow my pride
If you let your walls down
Maybe you would know how
To leave this alone
Let it lie
Let it lie

No comments:

Post a Comment