Thursday, March 14, 2013

"Wish It Was True" - The White Buffalo

Never has smoking looked so good
As I may have mentioned in previous posts,  I've developed a crush (read: obsession) with bad boy biker character, Jax Teller (Charlie Humman from Sons of Anarchy)  The show is based on a hamlet-esque father/son story about a motorcycle gang. Between drooling and gazing lovingly, I've noticed the show feature many solid songs. One in particular I've been listening to on repeat is, "Wish It Was True", by The White Buffalo.

At first when the song came on I had pegged the vocalist to be Eddie Vedder ala his solo "Into The Wild" days, so was surprised to learn otherwise.  The lead singer, Jack Smith looks and sounds like a character worthy of SOA, with his deep growl and grizzly bear beard.


The song has a traditional Americana feel and after listening closer I realized that the lyrics are meant to be the last words of a soldier. He apologizes to his Mother, "I tried to do right by you", "I tried to behave for you." He confronts his "Father" (God) and accuses, "I gave my soul to you. I came in blindfolded for you." Finally he speaks to his Country, "I'm just a stranger to you. A number, a name; it's true. Throw me away when you're through."  He cycles  through the motions of death, expressing sadness, anger and hurt in a hauntingly realistic picture of the soldiers that selflessly give their lives for us everyday so that we can freely live ours.


Mother, I tried to do right by you, 
To do what you asked me to.
I did wrong, and I knew.

Mother, I tried to behave for you.
Now I'm a-diggin' a grave for you.
It was all I could do. 

Find a way back home, make everything new. 
I wish it was true.

Father, well I gave my soul to you.
I came in blind folded for you.
It was all that I knew.

Open your arms and I'll fly out of hell up to you.
I wish it was true.

Boy, come on out from the cold.
You're lost outside there, don't you know?
It's not what you say, it's what you do.
Just keep wishing your wishes are true.
Well your dreams, they're reality.
There's no pain, there's no misery.
Just polish the blood and the brews.
For there's just no way you can lose.
Well I wish it was true.

Country, I was a solider to you.
I did what you asked me to.
It was wrong, and you knew.

Country, now I'm just a stranger to you.
A number, a name; it's true.
Throw me away when you're through.

Home of the brave and the free; the red, white, and blue.
I wish it was true.

No comments:

Post a Comment