Tuesday, June 4, 2013

"Everybody Hurts' - R.E.M.

I've had an article waiting, flagged in my inbox, for at least a month.  I couldn't find a song that would suit it.  Usually I find the song first,  and then inspiration comes - but sometimes it's vice versa.

Go ahead little guys 

Now, I'm the kind of chick that stops traffic to let baby ducklings cross, and rushes injured baby rabbits.. pigeons (yes), etc.  to the local Humane Society. The kind of chick, that loses my shit watching Marley and Me.  So,  when I found this article while at work one day - you can imagine how I tried desperately to wipe the mascara tears off my face, and exclaim to my co-workers, "wow, it's so dry in here, my eyes won't stop watering!"  The article is about a whale named 52 Hertz, otherwise known as, "The Loneliest Whale In The World."


Destined for solitude
The article explains that scientists have been following Hertz for over two decades,  and discovered that his sonar, (which whales use to communicate)  is emitted at a much higher decibel than the rest of his species.  This means that despite best efforts,  Hertz has never been able to effectively communicate with other whales, and as a result never found a mate.  His high pitched sonar has destined him to travel the ocean in solitude.  The marine biologist studying  Hertz, Mary Ann Daher,  receives endless amounts of letters from people who relate to the lonely creature.  Daher commented, "We don't know if he's lonely. The supposed emotional yearnings of 52 Hertz say much more about the humans who hear his story than it does about the whale himself."

Like many others,  I find myself relating to Hertz. Sometimes I wonder if I'm destined to be solo?  There are times that I feel like I"m surviving more than living.  It's a weird feeling to not have (romantic) love in your life.  Life goes on, as always, but everything is a little less shiny, and tastes a little bit more bland.  I do remain hopeful however, that I will eventually find someone that "hears my pitch" just perfectly.

"Everybody Hurts" by R.E.M. was a natural song choice for this article.  It's the perfect anthem for loneliness and self-pity.  It's also a good reminder that everyone feels pain, and that pain eventually subsides.   Time really does heal all wounds, even if there are scars that linger.

Most of the song was written by former R.E.M. drummer, Bill Berry, who penned the piece as an anti-suicide song - to reach out to people who felt like they had no hope.  On many R.E.M. tracks,  lead singer, Michael Stipe's  singing is incomprehensible, but on this song he sings strong, clear and purposefully so that the message doesn't get lost.




When your day is long and the night 
The night is yours alone
When you're sure you've had enough of this life, well hang on
Don't let yourself go 
Everybody cries and everybody hurts sometimes

Sometimes everything is wrong 
Now it's time to sing along
When your day is night alone (hold on, hold on)
If you feel like letting go (hold on)
When you think you've had too much of this life, well hang on

Everybody hurts 

Take comfort in your friends
Everybody hurts
Don't throw your hand Oh, no
Don't throw your hand
If you feel like you're alone, no, no, no, you are not alone

If you're on your own in this life 
The days and nights are long
When you think you've had too much of this life to hang on

Well, everybody hurts sometimes
Everybody cries
And everybody hurts sometimes
And everybody hurts sometimes
So, hold on, hold on
Hold on, hold on 
Hold on, hold on 
(Hold on, hold on)

Everybody hurts 
You are not alone

No comments:

Post a Comment